The 2011-2012 Pet Owners Survey conducted by the American Pet Products Association (APPA) reveals that the number of pet owning households in the U.S. has reached an all-time high of 72.9 million which is 64% of U.S. households. 39% of American’s own at least one dog which adds up to a whopping 78.2 million dogs in the US alone. Check out these other not so staggering statistics that prove that dogs truly are a man’s best friend.
- 90% of pet owners consider their pet a member of their family.
- 63% of dog owners surveyed said they give their pets presents at Christmas.
- Americans spend about $5 billion on holiday presents for their furry friends.
- 40% of dog owners hang Christmas stockings for their pets.
- 36% of dog owners give their pets presents on their birthday.
- About one quarter of dog owners (27%) sign their pet's name on greeting cards or notes.
- About 27% of pet owners claim to have taken their pet to a professional photographer to have a picture taken with family, Santa, or the Easter Bunny.
- About 10% of dog owners carry their pet's picture in their wallet or purse.
- In about 20% of dog households, the TV, radio, or stereo is left on when the animals are left alone, presumably so they don't get lonely.
- 16% of dog owners claim to have bought a car or home with their pet in mind.
Hampton Road’s has an abundance of dog friendly parks, rescue organizations, stores, adoption centers, veterinary clinics, grooming facilities and events that cater to dog loving residents all over the area. With a little research and a lot of creativity, you don’t have to do much without your canine (outside of maybe work). Check out these links which will provide you with an abundant list of area resources.
Follow this link to subscribe to the Waggin Tails blog which provides you with constant and up to date information on dog care, nutrition, training, play, and games to play with your dog; all right here in Hampton Roads.
Thinking about adoption? It is a great way to save a life and add some love to yours!