The 2011-2012 Pet Owners Survey conducted by the American Pet Products Association (APPA) reveals that the number of pet owning households in the U.S. has reached an all-time high of 72.9 million which is 64% of U.S. households. 39% of American’s own at least one dog which adds up to a whopping 78.2 million dogs in the US alone. Check out these other not so staggering statistics that prove that dogs truly are a man’s best friend.
- 90% of pet owners consider their pet a member of their family.
- 63% of dog owners surveyed said they give their pets presents at Christmas.
- Americans spend about $5 billion on holiday presents for their furry friends.
- 40% of dog owners hang Christmas stockings for their pets.
- 36% of dog owners give their pets